Thursday, July 28, 2011

An Update from Our Chair

I recently returned from the awesome experience of participating in the ACPA Summer Leadership Meeting. As the new chair for SCGSNP I was not certain what to expect. I was slightly apprehensive as I thought about all of the leaders in the field that would be present. When I arrived in Louisville I instantly felt at home with my ACPA family. I was greeted by colleagues that I knew and introduced to others from throughout the association.

The meetings, discussions, and conversations were wonderful! It was an incredible opportunity and experience to be at the table engaging in conversations about the future of myACPA! Here are just a few of the highlights:

ACPA Globalization- We helped give direction for the development of the globalization initiative. I also gained a new perspective on the concept and a better understanding of the ways that globalization can better inform the work that we do on a daily basis.



Financial Management- The transparency of the leadership allowed for discussion about the budgeting, spending, and income for the association. As a new professional it was wonderful to see financial management for such a large association. If you’d like to learn more please feel free to email me at amollet@radford.edu and I’d love to discuss it with you!



Convention 2012- Wow! ACPA has done an absolutely incredible job in taking our feedback and creating a convention to meet the needs for graduate students and new professionals! Specifically:

Lodging- The Galt House is offering huge suites with two beds and a pull-out sofa! There is room for 6 at a rate that is less than we typically pay for a standard room!


Parking- The parking rate has been reduced from $21-24 to only $8/night!


Internet- All convention hotels will be providing free internet to attendees!


Dining- There are tons of affordable (both fast food and sit down) restaurants within close walking distance to the convention center!



ACPA Foundation- The Foundation has been working diligently to raise funds to provide additional services and resources to the association! They now offer funding for research initiatives as well as programs/events!



Career Central- ACPA is currently soliciting feedback from graduate students and new professionals about ways to improve placement. They have some excellent ideas and I anticipate a revised and outstanding placement experience in Louisville!

Summer Leadership was a truly valuable experience for me to provide better leadership to SCGSNP and also to expand upon my own professional development. I am looking forward to expanding on some of the connections and opportunities to work with other ACPA groups to better meet the needs of graduate students and new professionals! If you have any questions, suggestions, or would like to discuss any association topics further please let me know!


Amanda L. Mollet
Muse Quad Area Director
Office of Housing and Residential Life
Radford University
Chair, ACPA Standing Committee for Graduate Students and New Professionals
Phone: (540) 831-6077
Fax: (540) 831-6654

No comments:

Post a Comment