Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Better Know a Member--Brian Hopkins!



Institution: Syracuse University

Position: Residence Director

What brings joy to your professional life? The thing that I love most about my job is the interactions that I have with students on a daily basis. I have formed a number of great relationships with students who I advise and supervise in which the students know that I am there for them and will do my best to help them through anything that I can. Knowing that I have helped some of my students through very challenging situations and that they have grown because of it energizes me on a daily basis to continue doing all the things that I do.

If you could be a candy bar, which would you be and why? I would be a Twix because they are just that good!

What did you want to grow up to be when you were 10 years old? Teacher

Name somebody who has /have made a difference to you in your professional life? How so? Dr. Tony Cawthon is one of the faculty members at Clemson University, which is where I graduated from with my Master’s degree. Tony has always been a great role model and supported me a great deal both professionally and personally.

If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be? I am going to be working on piloting a residential college for students in science, technology, engineering, and math. It is going to be the first one that Syracuse University has and I’m very excited about the new challenge that it is going to bring and developing this program throughout the year.

What is your favorite food? I love Italian food!

If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? I think it would be fun to learn how to fly a plane.

How are you involved in ACPA or the SCGSNP? I am the Co-Coordinator of the Case Study competition.

What is your favorite color? Blue

What is a personal motto that you live by? "It's never too late to be what you might have been." --George Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment