Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Better Know a Member--Ashley Weets!

Institution: Guilford College

Position: Hall Director/Student Success Mentor

What brings joy to your professional life? Just the amount of variety I experience every day! There is never a dull moment, and while it is tiring, it is also what keeps me coming back every day!

If you could be a candy bar, which would you be and why? Peanut butter M&Ms, because they are delicious and colorful!

What did you want to grow up to be when you were 10 years old? I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then I figured out that meant I’d have to put puppies and kitties to sleep and it was all over.

Name somebody who has /have made a difference to you in your professional life? How so? I have been very lucky to get to know and work with several remarkable individuals. If I had to pinpoint one at this moment, I’d say Tracy Davis, who is a professor in my grad program. I had the opportunity to be his teaching assistant one semester – I have never learned more about myself or the subject matter in such a short amount of time, and I am very thankful for that.

If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be? A dream project (with a dream budget) would be to research different styles/methods of higher education around the world. I want to better understand how others are educated, so this would obviously involve lots of travel and lots of talking with people, two of my very favorite things!

What is your favorite food? Sushi – Philly Roll, but I pretty much like them all!

If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? I’d love to learn how to cook without stressing myself out about it!

How are you involved in ACPA or the SCGSNP? This is my third year on the Directorate of the SCGSNP, my first two years I was on the Scholarship Committee, and last year and through this upcoming year I am on the Special Projects Committee.

What is your favorite color? Oh, it changes all the time. Right now it’s green, I think.

What is a personal motto that you live by? "You know, if you don't want to run again, I respect that. But if you don't run 'cause you think it's gonna be too hard or you think you're gonna lose - well, God, Jed, I don't even want to know you." ~Mrs. Landingham, The West Wing

No comments:

Post a Comment